List of Publications by Timothy D. McBride
Find a recent version of my full curriculum vita here: http://gwbweb.wustl.edu/Faculty/FullTime/Pages/TimothyMcBride.aspx
RECENT JOURNAL ARTICLES (published, in press, or accepted, from a longer total of over 50 journal articles since 2010 only (out of several dozen):
- M. Politi, M. Kreuter, T. McBride. 2015. “A Randomized Trial Examining Three Strategies for Improving Health Insurance Literacy Among the Uninsured,” accepted for publication in Medical Decision Making, March 2015.
- J. Purnell, M. Kreuter, T. Thompson, T.D. McBride. 2015. "Behavioral economics: "Nudging" underserved populations to be screened for cancer," Preventing Chronic Disease 12:140346. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd12.140346
- E.F. Lawlor, M.W. Kreuter, A. Sebert-Kuhlmann, T.D. McBride. 2015. “Methodological Innovations in Public Health Education: Transdisciplinary Problem Solving,” American Journal of Public Health 105(S1): 99-103.
- L. Elliott, T.D. McBride, P. Allen, R. Jacob, E. Jones, J. Kerner, R.C. Brownson. 2014. “Healthcare system collaboration to address chronic diseases: a nationwide snapshot of collaborations reported by state public health practitioners,” Preventing Chronic Disease 11: E152: http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2014/14_0075.htm
- M.W. Kreuter, T. McBride, C. Caburnay, T. Poor, V. Sanders-Thompson, Katherine Eddens, Suchitra Rath, Hannah Perkins, Chris Casey, Bradford Hesse. 2014. “What can health communication science offer to ACA implementation? Five evidence-informed strategies for expanding Medicaid enrollment,” Milbank Quarterly, (92: 1), pp. 40-62: DOI: 10.1111/1468-0009.1204.
- Mary Politi, Matt Kreuter, Timothy McBride, Kim Kaphingst. 2013. “Health Literacy and the Ability to Navigate Health Care Plan Choice under the Affordable Care Act,” Medical Care Research and Review, October 2013.
- Matthew W. Kreuter, Timothy McBride, Charlene Caburnay, Tim Poor, Vetta Sanders-Thompson, Katherine Eddens, Suchitra Rath, Hannah Perkins, Chris Casey, Bradford Hesse. 2013. “What can health communication science offer to ACA implementation? Five evidence-informed strategies for expanding Medicaid enrollment,” forthcoming Milbank Quarterly, 2013.
- Timothy D. McBride. 2013. “The Affordable Care Act and Low Wage Workers,” in Michael Sherraden and Marion Crane, eds., Working and Living in the Shadow of Economic Fragility, forthcoming, Oxford Press, 2013.
- Elizabeth A. Dodson, Katherine A. Stamatakis, Stephanie Chalifour, Debra Haire-Joshu, Timothy McBride, Ross C. Brownson. 2012. “State legislators’ work on public health-related issues: what influences priorities?” Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, forthcoming, 12 pages.
- Timothy McBride, Abigail Barker, Leah Kemper, Lisa Pollack, Keith Mueller. 2012. “Health Insurance Exchanges: What Lessons Can Be Learned from the Federal Employee Health Benefit Program?” Health Affairs, forthcoming, June 2012, 16 pages.
- Sidney Watson, Yolonda Campbell, Timothy McBride. 2011. "Creating Multi-State Qualified Health Plans in Health Insurance Exchanges: Lessons for Rural and Urban America from the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan." Saint Louis University Journal of Health Law and Policy 5(1): 103-126.
- Harris J.K., Carothers B.J., Luke D.A., Silmere H., McBride T.D., Pion M. 2011. “Exempting casinos from the Smoke-free Illinois Act will not bring patrons back. They never left.” Tobacco Control, doi:10.1136/tc.2010.042127.
- MacKinney, AC, Mueller, K, McBride, TD. 2011. "The March to Accountable Care Organizations - How Will Rural Fare?" Journal of Rural Health (27:1, Winter 2011): 131-137.
- Stamatakis KA, McBride TD, Brownson RC. Communicating prevention messages to policy makers: the role of stories in promoting physical activity. J Phys Act Health 2010;7 Suppl 1:S99-107.
- Jegier BJ, Meier P, Engstrom JL, McBride TD. 2010. “The maternal cost of providing 100 mL of human milk for very low birth weight infants in the neonatal intensive care unit,” Breastfeeding Medicine 5(2): 71-77.
- Santosh Krishna, Kathleen N. Gillespie, Timothy D. McBride. 2010. “Diabetes Burden and Access to Preventive Care in the Rural United States,” The Journal of Rural Health 26(1): 3-11.
- Debra Haire-Joshu and Timothy D. McBride, editors. 2013. Transdisciplinary Public Health: Research, Methods and Practice. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. May 2013.
- Sheila R. Zedlewski, Roberta O. Barnes, Timothy D. McBride, Jack Meyer, and Martha K. Burt. 1990. Needs of the Elderly in the 21st Century. Washington, D.C.: The Urban Institute Press Report Series 90‑5, August.
Publications and Reports (since 2008)
- Keith Mueller, Andrew F. Coburn, Jennifer Lundblad, A. Clinton MacKinney, Timothy D. McBride, Sidney Watson. 2011. “The High Performance Rural Health System of the Future,” Rural Policy Research Institute (RUPRI) Rural Health Panel Policy Paper, October 2011, http://www.rupri.org/Forms/HealthPanel_FutureSystem_October2011.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Lisa Pollack, Abigail Barker, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller. 2011. “June 2011: Rural Medicare Medicare Advantage Enrollment Update,” Brief No. 2011-8, September 2011, http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/rupri/publications/policybriefs/2011/RUPRI%20September%202011%20-%20one-pager1%20km.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Lisa Pollack, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller. 2011. “March 2011: Growth in PPOs Dominates the Rural MA Market in 2011,” Brief No. 2011-3 April 2011, http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/rupri/publications/policybriefs/2011/March%202011%20%20one-pager%20041311.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Lisa Pollack, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller. 2010. “September 2010: Rural Medicare Advantage Update,” Brief No. 2010-6, September 2010, http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/rupri/publications/policybriefs/2010/September%202010%20MA%20Enrollment%20Update.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller. 2010. “Rural Medicare Advantage: Modest Growth in 2010,” Brief No. 2010-5, August 2010, http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/rupri/publications/policybriefs/2010/June%202010-5%20081710.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller, Leah Kemper, Timothy Leah Kemper, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller, 2009. “February 2010: A Dramatic Shift Away from Private Fee-for-Service Plans in Rural Medicare Advantage Enrollment,” Brief No. 2010-3 March 2010, http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/MAUpdates/March%202010%20MA%20032210.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller, 2009. “December 2009: Rural Medicare Advantage Enrollment Grows 15% in 2009,” Brief No. 2010-1 January 2010, http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/MAUpdates/December%202009%20MA%200210.pdf
- Timothy D. McBride. 2009. “Impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act on Covered Persons, As Amended,” Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and RUPRI Issue Brief, December 22, 2009, http://www.rupri.org/Forms/McBride_Insurance_Amended_Dec09.pdf
- Timothy D. McBride. 2009. “Impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act on Covered Persons,” Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and RUPRI Issue Brief, December 9, 2009, http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/53234.pdf
- Andrew F. Coburn, A. Clinton MacKinney, Timothy D. McBride, Keith J. Mueller, Rebecca T. Slifkin, Erika Ziller. 2009. “Assuring Health Coverage for Rural People through Health Reform,” Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Issue Brief, October 2009, http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/50808.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller, 2009. “July 2009: Rural Enrollment in Medicare Advantage Continues to Grow,” Brief No. 2009-8 August 2009 http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/MonthlyMAUpdates/July%202009%20MA.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Timothy D. McBride, and Keith Mueller. 2009. “May 2009: PPOs Driving Growth in Rural Medicare Advantage Enrollment,” Brief No. 2009-7 June 2009, http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/MonthlyMAUpdates/July%202009%20MA.pdf
- Timothy D. McBride and Leah Kemper. 2009. “Impact of the Recession on Rural America: Rising Unemployment Leading to More Uninsured in 2009.” Rural Policy Research Institute Brief No. 2009-6. June 2009. Available at: http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/b2009-6%20Rising%20Unemployment%20Leading%20to%20More%20Uninsured.pdf
- Timothy D. McBride. 2009. “A Rural-Urban Comparison of a Building Blocks Approach to Covering the Uninsured,” Rural Policy Research Institute Brief No. 2009-5. June 2009. Available at: http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/b2009-5%20Building%20Blocks%20Approach%20to%20Covering%20the%20Uninsured.pdf
- Leah Kemper, Timothy McBride and Keith J. Mueller. 2009. Timothy D. McBride and Keith J. Mueller. 2008. “April 2009: Rural Enrollment in Medicare Advantage: Growth in PPOs Outpacing Growth in PFFS,” Rural Policy Research Institute Brief No. 2009-4. May 2009. Available at: http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/MonthlyMAUpdates/April%202009%20MA%200508.pdf
- Timothy D. McBride and Keith J. Mueller. 2008. “Eligible But Not Enrolled? Potential for Targeting Over a Half-Million Rural Medicare Beneficiaries for Enrollment in the Low-Income Subsidy Prescription Drug Program,” Rural Policy Research Institute Brief No. 2008-5. December 2008. Available at: http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/LIS%20Brief%202008-5.pdf
- Timothy D. McBride and Keith J. Mueller. 2008. “Update on Rural Enrollment in Medicare Advantage Growth Continues to Grow Rapidly in 2008,” Rural Policy Research Institute Brief PB2008-3, August 2008, 6 pages. Available at: http://www.unmc.edu/ruprihealth/Pubs/b2008-3%20MA%20Enrollment.pdf